LABRLS




Saturday, November 26, 2011

HODDEOK (KOREAN SWEET PANCAKE)


Hoddeok is a popular street food of South Korea. I came to know this after watching a television show about Korean food.

They are made with  wheat  flour,  sugar,  water, milk and dry yeast. Though the original recipe calls for sweet rice flour but this was omitted by me.  Allow the dough to  stand in a warm place  for 3 hours. If using active dry yeast, whisk the water, sugar and dry yeast in a small bowl, let  the yeast to activate for about 10 minutes before adding the rest  the ingredients.

After  fermentation, it is shape into ball then stuff with brown sugar and nut filling. Shallow fry these balls then flatten them using spatula until golden brown. They  are best eaten hot.

HODDEOK (KOREAN SWEET PANCAKE)
Yield    :    5
Adapted from here

1 + 1/4  C  all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 C + 1 TB warm milk
3 TB warm water
1/4 tsp instant yeast
1/4 tsp sugar
cooking oil for frying


FILLING
1/3  C  brown sugar
2 TB chopped peanut/pecan/pine nuts
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

DIRECTION

Sift  flour into mixing bowl.

Combine warm water, milk, sugar and yeast.

Pour the yeast mixture onto the flour, sprinkle the salt. Combine until it forms into soft dough.

Place the dough into greased and covered bowl. Let rise for 3 hours.

Divide dough into 5 balls.  Mix together the filling ingredients in a small bowl.

Flatten each ball, place a tablespoonful of filling, seal the edges and shape into a ball again.

Heat little oil in a cast iron pan, place 2 balls on the hot pan, seams side down and fry then flip after the bottom is slightly browned,  flatten the ball using the spatula.  Cook until  golden brown. Complete the rest of the dough.

Serve hot.

Linking to  Yeastspotting -12-2-11 

24 comments:

Gloria Baker said...

look absolutely nice!! gloria

Santosh Bangar said...

looks inviting

Santosh Bangar said...

looks inviting

Julie said...

Lovely filling n delicious ones..never heard of this before..Thanx for sharing!!
Ongoing Event -Christmas Delicacy (15 Nov-31 Dec 2011)
Erivum Puliyum

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Delicious and fulfilling pancakes dear. Excellent preparation.
Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

Tina said...

Looks delicious...

kitchen queen said...

delicious pancake.

Puan Ros @ Sinaranmenu.blogspot said...

kak,I wonder if I can change to a savory filling like inti daging.

Joanne said...

I've been wanting to make these and you know...I have some pecan pie filling in my fridge that would make the perfect filling!

Unknown said...

I'm hungry, and these guys hit the spot! Thanks so much for linking up to Friday Potluck!!!

Deepti said...

thanks for this easy n tasty pancake recipe...

http://panchamrutham.blogspot.com/

Priya Suresh said...

Super tempting and irresistible sweet pancake..

cocoa and coconut said...

Oh gosh I absolutely love Korean food. This pancake looks perfectly cooked. Thanks for sharing!

Christy Gerald said...

Luks fabulous. Luv it.

Rosita Vargas said...

LUCEN EXQUISITOS Y DELICADOS,ME ENCANTAN,ABRAZOS GRANDES,HUGS,HUGS.

Urmi said...

Pancake looks perfect, yummy and tempting.

Sarah Marie said...

How cool!! I am your newest follower and would LOVE a follow back! Thanks in advance, I love cooking as well and I can't wait to see whst you have here!

cookingvarieties said...

hi treat and trick, sure is a great recipe to follow, dont need side dishes- simpler :)

Shylaja said...

Pancake looks delicious and yet simple to prepare...

cadastru si intabulare said...

I like this recipe a lot, it is one of my favourites now after i`ve tried it this morning and it was very good, thanks for sharing and also thanks for your good explanations.

CREATIVE KHADIJA said...

Oh waoo..seems yuumy! I am sure it will be..thanks for sharing the perfect clicks :)

Amee said...

I am a new fan from Madame Deals please enter one of my contests I have $200 in jewelry and more www.madamedeals.com/contests.

Thank you
Amee

sillygirl said...

These are so good! The second time I made them I made a double batch to share - think I will just have to make them regularly to have enough when I want them! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!

The Lazy Gastronome said...

Those look really versatile! Thanks for sharing at the What's for Dinner party. Hope you're enjoying your week.